Wednesday, October 15, 2008

pour me another . . .

yes. it's that time of year. the germs have seeped into my normally healthy protective barrier and i am walking around with my eyes all watery and my voice sounding like the oldest frog out on the pond. and while i hate to be sick and detest the whininess that suddenly (well i hope suddenly) takes over my personality, i must admit that there is one plus to colds.  and that is that i no longer have to hide my love for the joys that nyquil brings.

i don't remember ever taking nyquil when i was growing up. but. i do remember the first time i ever realized how awesome it was. sophomore year in college. drummond hall. osu. roommate julie and i both came down with the flu during "dead" week. i had like a million papers to write before the end of the semester because someone somewhere went crazy and decided to advise me to take a philosophy class.  (if you knew me when i was 19, you would understand why this was a VERY bad idea.)  the only way i was able to breathe was by swiping julie's dayquil. and then, once the papers were all done (i distinctly remember writing about a seurat painting and connecting it to something that descartes wrote - and yall, seriously, i don't know how that memory has survived the obvious eroding of my brain brought on by america's next top model, big brother, super nanny, etc., marathons) and i still couldn't breathe or sleep through the night, someone said, "here sarah.  try this.  it will make it all better."

and my addiction was born.

now if you'll excuse me, i skipped out on two meetings this afternoon so i could come home, find that little bottle in the medicine cabinet and make my way to a nyquil induced coma before cycle 27 of ANTM comes on tonight.  8/7 central.

No comments: