Wednesday, October 8, 2008

dichotomy

when people ask me how i can teach junior high, my typical response is that i like the challenge of the diversity that accompanies working with 12-15 year-olds in my day. case in point . . .

i had to keep a student late after 7th period today to have a 'conversation' about the random whistles that seem to escape his mouth at inopportune times during class. he has absolutely no impulse control.

barely 45 minutes later, i was leaning back in my chair, feet propped up, having a mature literary discussion over the worth (literary or otherwise) of running with scissors by augusten burroughs with another student. if you don't know anything about that book, let me just say that, um, yeah, it probably isn't really junior high reading material.

the end.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

reading this makes me miss the absurdity and beauty that is the middle schooler. can i borrow a couple when i get back? maybe one for a book discussion, one for a music discussion, and one for an "are you done acting a fool" discussion. good times.

godin

sarah said...

godin - i am sure that i can set you up with some prime substitute jobs if you are really feeling the need to quench your nostalgia . . . just let me know. ;)

LiteralDan said...

Before I read anything here, I read your explanation of the lack of an apostrophe in your blog title, and that along with this post tells me I think I will like you very much, or at least as much as I like myself.

sarah said...

literal dan - well hello, then! it's always nice to know someone actually reads the right side of the blog . . .