Tuesday, October 28, 2008

politics, long but not preachy - i don't think anyway

today i went to vote. i left school early because i had heard the lines at my early voting place were out of control yesterday, but when i got there it was actually very peaceful. MUCH more peaceful than work was today, so it was kind of a relief to stand in the quiet and among the whispers. (i still didn't get one of those stinkin' stickers. this is my 4th presidential election to vote in and I HAVE NEVER GOTTEN ONE! okay. sorry. so not on the topic.) 

i was by far the youngest person in line at the time, but the lady behind me was more nervous about voting than i was. she was probably in her early 60's . . . and had never voted before in her life. never. i overheard this as she was talking to someone in charge, so the info kind of came from eavesdropping, which would have made it very improper to question her. not that i wanted to know who she was voting for . . . i just keep hearing about people like her on the news and wanted to ask her what made her care so much this year.

say what you will about this election, for a politics junkie like me it is thrilling to hear so many people talking about voting and being active. i've taught during three different elections and (i think i've mentioned this before) never before have my students been so interested and excited about an election.  (my 4th period class is determined to trick me into telling them whom i'm voting for . . .)  i'm excited for them; it was the mike synar/drew edmondson state race in 1992 that got me interested in politics - something that has stayed with me my entire life.  so i hope that is the case for my students.  heck.  i hope it's the case for anyone who has been 'bitten' this year.  (for a really interesting piece about the power of voting, check out sarah vowell's open letter to mike synar written 8 years ago - a few year's after he passed away.)

_______________________


speaking of politics, can i sound off on something that has been bothering me since i went to a meeting waaaaaaaaay back in august.  i can?  well, thank you very much.  (trust me.  this doesn't really have to do with the election.)

so back at this meeting, we were doing a miniature version of some sort of personality test . . . there wasn't really a test, rather we read the description of 6 different personality traits and chose the three that we felt most represented who we were.  all 6 of the traits were admirable and hopefully included in all of our personalities, even if just a little bit, so nothing was really an "insult" on the list.  for one of my traits i chose "open-minded."  and yall, this is by no means me saying i always accomplish the open-mindedness, nor is it a trait i've always possessed (as much as i would have liked to believe i did).  BUT, it is something i try very hard to achieve.   

 very hard. 

 i honestly believe i'm a more tolerant person because i've spent the majority of my life surrounded by people who do not share my social views, religious views, and especially not my political views.  and you know the "funny" thing?  i am very close to and respect a lot of those people.  so when i say "open-minded" i'm not just talking about my beliefs on california's prop 8 or being interested in learning about faiths different from my own . . . i also mean being open-minded (finally . . . after much maturity and many hard lessons learned) as it applies to talking and discussing politics and other social issues with people to understand why they think the way they do.  for me, it's a big part of my Faith.  "the greatest of these is love" and all of that.  because, in my heart, what is a greater sign of love than working to understand someone else?

really.  this all does have a point.  just wanted you to see where i'm coming from.

so.  me: constantly working toward, often times failing at, but always hoping to be open-minded.  it's a huge part of what makes sarah sarah.  so maybe you understand a little why i was offended when one of my table mates, who had chosen "principled" as her main trait, looked at mine - and with no recognition of how she sounded - said, "wow.  it looks like we are polar opposite."

huh?

i knew exactly what she meant.  she selected "principled" as a means of describing her Faith  and yay for her!  we probably believe a lot of the same things.  but where we differ is this: her "principles" led her to believe that someone who considers themselves "open-minded" is someone she would find (i.e. judge) immoral.  but for me, being "open-minded" is a principle - a moral - by which i try to live my life.

but that small turn of phrase she uttered has really stuck with me, even though i can't remember even what that meeting was about now.  maybe a part of me wants to shake her and show her just how open-minded i can be.  another part of me has just been very philosophical about what she said and my reaction to her, maybe even a little proud of myself.  because in my past life (ages 15-25) i probably would have gotten into a huge "discussion" resulting in intense tension with her that would have made our department meetings oh so much fun this year.  

so i don't know.  for me this election is about change.  but not just with the person i'm voting for . . . also, a change within myself . . . see.  we can grow.
_______________________

yeah.  i put my degrees to work today as i stared at kids testing for FIVE hours.  so i needed to have some intellectual thoughts going on here . . . please pretend that is what you just read.  thanks!

be looking for: erin and sarah - autumnal extravaganza 2008.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for posting the nkotb video sister.

and i thought your love/obsession of politics came much earlier when you were dukakis (sp?) and lost in roosa elementary's mock election. i remember lots of tears. that is my first memory of politics anyway.

happy tuesday night!

LiteralDan said...

I thought this was quite intellectual, and much appreciated! I just hope we're all moving towards some kind of a better world together.

I'm not sure if people like your tablemate will all be having some kind of epiphany in order for that to happen, or if they will just fail in infecting later generations with their intolerant worldview.

Jessica said...

i don't know why...but i feel the need to state, for the record, that the tablemate that made that comment was not this member of your department.

i, for one, have been challenged by your open-mindedness and have found myself (many times, actually) telling others, "i was talking with my friend sarah the other day about (fill in the blank with anything from politics to religion to chuck bass...) and she made me think a little bit differently about ___."

bless her heart--the tablemate. i'm beginning to think she really can't help it. truly.

sarah said...

these are very late replies . . . you'll probably never see them . . .

jessica #1 - ah yes. i think you were the only other vote for dukakis at our tiny elementary school. perhaps i part of my disdain of bush #2 comes from this whole portion of childhood. tears? i really don't remember that, though.

literaldan - i am hoping for an epiphany, but each year i get more and more cynical, which is sad.

jessica #2 - as i stated in your person, thanks for the kind words here. it makes me feel like i should step up my actual knowledge of world events for our lunch conversations . . . or i could just get caught up on gossip girl so we can continue drooling over said chuck bass. which one would take less effort?