Saturday, August 30, 2008

can you believe i walked out of a NOW meeting in college and never looked back?


i try to avoid writing about politics here on the ol' blog for several reasons, one being (mainly) my fear of saying something stupid and then, of course, being ridiculed by people who are way smarter than me.  but, since the olympics are over and i don't get to stare at this guy anymore -


i now have the brain space to pay attention to politics again.  and what a week i chose to dust off my bejing '08 coma and watch some actual news.

so i might not be the passionate obama supporter that sat glued to the convention last week with tears streaming down my face every time "yes we can" got fired up, but i do have a couple of things to say about mccain and his new vp candidate, sarah (i wish i could like you just because you've got the coolest name ever and SPELL it the rigHt way!) palin.  and those things are ....

  • do i kind of wish - as much as it hurts my heart to say this (as someone who totally respects hillary but was was ADAMANT in the fact that we need someone other than a clinton or bush in the white house next term) right now - that hillary had been the vp obama chose?  um.  not quite sure on this one, although i am bothered by one (quite sexist) point i heard made somewhere yesterday when someone pointed out that palin was a good choice, if for the only reason being biden couldn't be his normal rough and aggressive "bulldog" self in the debates because he would be going up against sweet, charming, been in vogue GIRL.  so if this was in anyway a possible part of the reasoning in mccain selecting palin, then BOO.  give the lady some credit.  from what i've seen of palin she seems like she could at least temperamentally hold her own with the boys, so here's hoping no one (joe, i'm talking to you) holds back.  but back to my original point . . . if hillary HAD been the nominee, then holy sweet pickles, those debates would have been something because yall know hillary (even those of you who don't care for her) ain't holdin' nothing back when it comes to fighting with words.  here's my prediction: you are going to see hillary A LOT more on the campaign trail over the next couple-a months.
  • mccain may have had my vote if he had chosen kay bailey hutchinson to run with him.  (dude.  she was a former UT cheerleader!  how much of an AWESOME image is that to little girls?  "seriously girls, you can be anything you want . . . i was a cheerleader AND vice president, so be smart, stay in school.")  i'm crossing my fingers that she turned him down and is planning to mount the attack against rick perry.  the day she does will be historic . . . i will vote for a republican.  on purpose.
  • the selection of a woman is OBVIOUS pandering.  (not that my dems have been innocent of this.  trust.  i know.  i'm objective, i.e. cynical.  really.)  so my hope is that all of us women voters (well not me, since i live in texas and my vote isn't going to really matter, but all of you women voters in new mexico, ohio, colorado, pennsylvania, missouri, wisconsin, florida, georgia?, etc.) USE OUR BRAINS.  if your brain leads you to put a mark next to the elephant on your ballot, then so be it.  BUT.  do think about this (as my mom and i were talking about yesterday) - how much of an insult could it be to women - especially hillary's supporters (lil' sis, i'm talkin' to you) - to think that we would vote for mccain JUST BECAUSE he selected a woman as his running mate?  is there something derogatory implied in his choice?  i guess this kind of thing always happens in politics.  it's like choosing a running mate of a certain religious leaning just to get those people to vote for you.  i've just never been the intended audience, so it makes me think a little harder.
  • more than ever, i will miss tim russert when i skip church tomorrow to stay home and watch meet the press.
  • whatever the outcome, there will be a first in the white house, which is almost as good as watching the phelps, et al, beat the french in the relay a few weeks ago.  almost.
  • um.  palin is from alaska.  mccain is older than the state of alaska.  i'm sorry, but you have to laugh at that no matter what color you bleed - red OR blue.  so now, let's all get together and link arms and sing "we are the world."
 wow.  i've used my pretty little head a little bit too much more than i like to on a saturday morning.  i need something else to think about.


thanks, aaron.

7 comments:

Leah Marie said...

I was going to blog about this myself, but now maybe I'll just link to your blog. Well said.

sarah said...

thanks, leah. i don't really like to write about this stuff here, but i think so much of the meaning can get lost and people can misinterpret what you say.

Brittany said...

Amen. I honestly couldn't agree more. For McCain to pick Palin is complete pandering, and I am shocked she isn't insulted. I mean, as a woman, I am insulted.

And I am even more annoyed at the hype this is getting, and the fact that no one else seems to be outraged.

I have lost the VERY little respect I had for him. Unless his goal was to have a hot VP around to give him mouth to mouth when he goes into heart failure 10 times a term.

Ok, sorry....obviously this is an issue for me,as it should be for all women. And I was so a 5 minute member of NOW, but it was a little too aggressive for me.

Poptart said...

Here you go Texan:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geocaching

The Kilcoynes said...

I sure hope that McCain DIDN'T pick Palin just because she is a woman. I always want to have an optimistic (and naive) view of politics. I WANT him to pick her because she actually knows some things about energy. Oh, well.

Not sure my vote for McCain or Obama will be counted, though. Will the media even wait for my vote to get there??

sarah said...

brittany - wow. i pretty worked up, but i think you beat me there. and as for NOW, yeah. aggressive would be the word. but you know what? my heart broke a little that day when i realized i didn't fit in with them, i.e. i wasn't angry at the world, overdosing on patchouli, and flaunting my ani difranco concert t-shirts wherever i went. i'm good now, though. :)

poptart - thank you. i still don't really understand, but at least i don't think you are crazy for picking up rocks at random places anymore.

tiffany - you could look at it this way . . . the election could be so close that they are waiting on pins and needles for your ballot to get here to completely decide the presidency. no pressure.

Anonymous said...

Okay, totally jazzed to be in country this year to vote, and yet totally conflicted about who should get my vote. First, I believe that you have to vote in order to have a right to your opinion (lack of making your voice heard at the ballot box means I lack the motivation to listen to your voice about political issues at other times). And I don't believe in voting AGAINST someone. There should be valid reasons why I vote FOR someone. But, who is there to vote for?

Godin