Thursday, August 7, 2008

in all seriousness, i'm a little stressed out.

earlier this summer i bragged about how good i am about getting things accomplished during my time off. if i were giving myself a score on a scale of 1-10 on productivity THIS summer, i think a 2.5 would be acceptable. technically, all i really need to do i can cram into four days next week and be ready to face reality on august 15th. or. i thought i could.

then i had the following conversation with my principal via telephone this afternoon.

principal: hey sarah. we need to cut an english class this year during 7th period.

me: okay.

principal: so i'm thinking of giving you an exploratory elective with the rotating 7th grade class.

me: okay.

principal: and i know you would love to teach creative writing, but ************* did it last year, so we are going to keep her teaching that.

me: okay.

principal: so. you can create your own class. whatever you want. i know you had wanted to do some community service stuff last year, so maybe a class involving that? but you don't have to.

me: okay.

principal: so let's meet sometime before school starts to see what ideas you've got.

me: okay.  (don't you think she is glad she has me teaching language arts?  my vocabulary alone is extraordinary!)

-click-

yall. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO. seriously. i've been thinking since 1:30 (with the exception of my viewing of SYTYCD) and have now worked myself into a panic. here's the deal. the class is only 6 weeks long. that is NOT a lot of time to accomplish much. PLUS, there is quite a bit of pressure in the idea that i can do whatever i want because what if whatever i want doesn't work? that's public failure and i'm not so good at that. (remind me to tell you about the time i melted down at all-state tryouts my junior year.)

here are a few ideas so far . . . my sister came up with a few. which of these do you like or think would work?  any other suggestions? leave 'em in the comment section.  (sorry this is kind of like my brainstorming!)
  • community service: this is DAUNTING because i don't really know how it would work with a) students who didn't necessarily volunteer for the class and b) 6 weeks does not sound like a lot of time to get much organized and accomplished.  could be cool because i would let the kids create the curriculum, which is something i have ALWAYS wanted to do.
  • leadership: i don't really know what this would involve, other than all of the cool team-building games we played at church camp and stu-co things.
  • humanities (music appreciation, art appreciation, performing art appreciation, etc.): resources would be a challenge here as would limited access to field trips.  but, this is something really lacking at my school and something important to me AND i could so do something on american music . . . 
  • media awareness: this might be stepping on the toes of another class, so i'd have to see.
  • careers: ditto the above.
  • current events: this would be fun for ME because it would be different every single six weeks and God knows i can't do repetition.
  • another creative writing class: because i am selfish.
AUGH.  so see.  the consequences of a 2.5 productivity rating are manifesting now . . . how am i going to get all of my other stuff done as well as plan a curriculum next week???

p.s.  SYTYCD???  ANYONE?  funky town is represented tonight!  :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What about Diversity or something like your Anytown experience? Also, the term I was trying to think of was ethnomusicology.

Amy Van Pay said...

I'm all for comm service stuff. Young people have brilliant minds when you can tap into things they care about. They can decide what they want to do and spend their 6 weeks changing their piece of the world. This let's you a little off the hook for planning so much, and it gets 7th graders thinking of someone other than themselves.