Wednesday, July 30, 2008

will you still respect me in the morning?

i am a girl with convictions, people. not saying that i always stick to everything i proclaim. for example, i use to think that it was horribly mean and unfair to big dogs to keep them in apartments. ha. yeah. i so don't live by that now . . . although i would say that i believe that it depends on the dog. blah blah. anyway. 

but for the most part, when i do feel strongly about something, my taurus stubbornness becomes pretty obvious.  here are a couple of standards that have remained pretty consistent for me -
  • i don't eat any kind of pork products if i can help it.  (blame 9th grade biology and coach hedge.)
  • other things i won't eat: shrimp, whipped cream/cool whip, cake with icing, meat on pizza...and that is just a small list. (and yes, i know that those of you who have known me forever are feeling like this is a rerun, but stay with me for about 100 more words.)
  • you'll never see me wear gold and silver together.
  • i will never purchase music by the following bands: u2, coldplay, radiohead, or metallica. 
  • and just because i am an english teacher, that does not mean that i have a shrine to jane austen hiding in my closet.  in fact, i have gone the complete opposite direction  and have avoided all things jane.
  • mizzou sucks.
  • ou sucks.
but the last couple of days, i've kind of been having an inkling that goes against ONE of those items above.  so what happens if i change my mind and fail to uphold a conviction that i have, to be quite honest, been extremely vocal about?  does that make me a hypocrite?  will i be mocked?  do i care?

and that's where i am now.  i've decided that i'm gonna 'man up' and be honest about this change i am making, instead of sneaking around hiding it from people.  

so here goes: i am going to read a book by jane austen.  nowhere in that statement do i say that i am going to LIKE the book i read, but i am going to actually pick one up and muscle my way through it.  i'm torn, though, in deciding which book to read.  i do know it will be one of these three: mansfield park, emma, or pride and prejudice.  (it will NOT be sense and sensibility - no, don't even try to get me to change my mind - since being forced to watch that movie for credit in senior english was the equivalent of me pulling out my eye lashes one by one.) 

omg.  if i'm willing to start changing, even just a little bit, does this mean i might vote republican this year?  

11 comments:

Jan said...

You have WAY more convictions than that.

sarah said...

haha. oh i know. i just didn't have enough room, nor did i want to frighten the internet.

Anonymous said...

You have got to be kidding!!! Might I suggest Persuasion? It is my second favorite JA book. However, EVERYONE should read P&P. It's necessary to becoming a complete and fulfilled woman. Which I know you are striving to be. Jill's even read it.

sarah said...

joy? is that you? trying to be all secretive and anonymous? persuasion? perhaps. i'll check it out. i thought you were the mansfield park proponent, so that is why i put it on my list.

Erin said...

Surprise - I'm actually leaving a comment! :)

Anyways... I don't really have an opinion either way on Jane Austen. I tried to read one or two of her books, but never finished any. However, I tend to have a short attention span. So... good for you on broadening your horizons!

Anonymous said...

Next thing you know - I will FINALLY get my lifelong wish of having a nice Thanksgiving ham...a ham that has simmered in brown sugar for 10 hours. Is there hope???

sarah said...

um. thanksgiving = turkey. duh. there can be no meandering from that tradition.

you and your non-kosher ways can have your ham on easter, where it belongs. i'll just be over there with the green beans.

sarah said...

erin - wow. a comment. let me get over the shock.

The Kilcoynes said...

Well, yeah, P & P is just a must read for all of the references made to it in tv, movies, etc. But, Persuasion is interesting (and a little different).

Something I NEVER did before living in France that I do now without thinking about it-- wear black and brown together!

Anonymous said...

Oh, and (I know I might burn for saying this) I would just go with the one that you haven't seen the movie of. And yes, I just ended a sentence with a preposition. :)

If you can't narrow it down, I'd base it on your mood. Do you want to read about a headstrong girl, a meddlesome girl, or a naive girl?

P.S. The day you vote Republican, I...well, I don't know what I'll do, but it'll be something :) --Cody

sarah said...

um cody. the only jane austen movie i have ever seen is sense and sensibility. and that was painful.