Saturday, March 8, 2008

with an H - recycled blog #1

i wrote this a loooooooooong time ago in the vestiges of myspace. because i am bored/lazy/uninspired this afternoon, i've been reading some of my old ramblings. thought i'd share some of that pervious randomness here on the NEW blog . . .

____________________________


my gramma took me to buy my first tape on my ninth birthday. i am sure i had other 'tapes' that i shared with my sister and family - the eagles tape with "witchy woman" comes to mind - but the trip to the store with gramma betty when i turned 9 was my first perusal (is that a word?) into the world of pop music. starship had just come out with "sara" and it was in constant rotation on the amarillo radio station i listened to. i was so amazed that someone would write a song using my name, and well, was only NINE, so it was easy to turn a blind eye (or deaf ear) to such poetic references like "fire and ice" and "storms are brewin' in her eyes."

and then came the rest of my life.

for those of you who have never had a song entitled with just your name. . . . delilah-gloria-brandy-wendy-mandy-mickey-sharona . . . . let me tell you how much 'fun' you are missing. when introduced to you, random strangers will break out into the chorus bearing your name at church camp, band camp, hallway passing periods, college classes, football games, bars - and they do not sing quietly, or well. (and YES, i have experienced this in ALL of the above locations!) the best part of this is that these people who have the tendency to do this, also have a tendency to believe that they are THE most original people on the planet and that NO ONE has ever sung the song to you in such a way. my personal favorite, seeing as the song stealing my name is a power ballad circa 1986/1987, is when they turn all meatloaf on you and get theatrical. because then NO ONE - a.k.a. everyone - is paying attention to them.

AND, if you are LUCKY, the band/singer/boy-bander professing his/her undying dedication to you through this song bearing your name will take a traditional name that has been passed down for generations from ABRAHAM who got it from GOD who spelled it with an H and decide they think it looks more 'modern' without that H and zip, it's gone. THEN, you will get to spend the rest of your life qualifying your name's spelling and saying 'with an h' to the end of too many sentences than a person should have to in their relatively short life of nearly 30 years.

not that I've dealt with this much.

but, it was my first tape and the beginning of a slight obsession with the owning of music and books. so maybe it's not all bad.

No comments: